Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Vision


“Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.”
Jonathan Swift


Vision is one of the nine ADF virtues. It is defined as “The ability to broaden one's perspective to have a greater understanding of our place/role in the cosmos, relating to the past, present, and future.” I think that not many people would consider vision to be a virtue. I know I never certainly considered it one, even though I have it. The more I think about it though; I see what a blessing it is. Perhaps since it has always come easily to me that I have taken it for granted. It is especially important that ADF, as a relatively new religious organization, cultivate vision in its leaders so that we will have a direction in which to strive, a goal. No matter how much courage, perseverance ect. A person or group has, without vision they will not know where they are going or why. They will end up going in circles. With vision however, so much can be accomplished. It was vision that built the United States as a democratic state. It was vision that built the dolman and Stonehenge.

Vision isn’t just about seeing potential external things. It is also about seeing within oneself. To broaden one’s perspective about themselves is a very powerful thing. I was a massage therapist for so long; it was how I identified myself. When I had to close up my business and I lost that identity necessity forced me to broaden my view of myself. It was not an easy process, but in the end I have come to see that I am so much more then what I do for a living. Vision of ourselves is also about knowing our past, understanding our present, and creating our future. The choices we made in the past put us where we are now. Without vision we will not understand that simple truth, without vision we will not be able to take charge of our lives and make the decisions that will lead us to make our vision a reality. Vision is a virtue. It is vision that leads people to greatness. Whether that’s building a beautiful neo-pagan temple or getting clean and sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment